Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Personals-ad writer to the STARS

STARS meaning one of the guys who I've gotten to know at the hostel. Not quite sure if he's started working here, but a long-term tenant, but I see him here a lot and we occasionally chat. I'm trying to help him with his English so his online profile is a little more coherent, at his request. It's a little weird helping someone write their own (non-joke-on-another-ethnicity's) dating website profile, let alone if I don't even know the guy all that well. Weird cultural experience too, looking around an Arab personals site and trying to figure out what the profile averages are in terms of headlines, profile text, photos.....yes, I am so indoctrinated by consulting and work now that I do competition analysis and industry research even when writing a freakin 100-word profile description for some guy I barely know.

While I write the next post, I leave you this to ponder: non-alcoholic pineapple flavored malt beverage. Oddly enough, it tasted exactly as I expected without being disgusting - it was like a bud light with no (or even less) alcohol flavor, into which someone had dumped pineapple syrup.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you got a better taste (like the drink) of what true consulting is, even it's free & you were asking to do so. Be careful, this Star may ended up w/ a meaty belly dancer + x kids in tow, to whom he'll blame on ?

(It's annoying we have to type in the verification word, sounds like Arab, no offense)?

Unknown said...

Auggie, Love your post!
Your life is clearly much more exciting than mine. Lei